Dr. Lindsay M. Chervinsky
Senior Fellow, Center for Presidential History at Southern Methodist University
Dr. Lindsay M. Chervinsky is a presidential historian and expert on the cabinet, presidential history, and U.S. government institutions. She is currently a Senior Fellow at the Center for Presidential History at Southern Methodist University, as well as a scholar on the American presidency at the School of Media and Public Affairs at George Washington University.
She received her B.A. in history and political science from the George Washington University, and completed her Master’s and Ph.D. from the University of California, Davis. She is the author of the award-winning The Cabinet: George Washington and the Creation of an American Institution, which was published by Harvard University Press in April 2020. Her work has been published in the Washington Post, TIME, USA Today, and more; she has had regular columns at The Hill, Washington Monthly and Governing.
Her new book, Making the Presidency: John Adams and the Precedents that Forged the Republic, will be published by Oxford University Press in 2024.
- Op-Ed: “Why we should fear a lame-duck President Trump” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky on CNN
- “History Teaches Us Election Delays Are Nothing New” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in Governing
- “The Justice Department Has Lost Its Way” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in her newsletter A Spot of Parchment
- Op-Ed: “A diverse Cabinet will make Joe Biden a better president and unify the country” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in the Washington Post
- Op-Ed: “Will McConnell flout custom by rejecting Biden Cabinet nominees?” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in The Hill
- Op-Ed: “The Founders created the model for dealing with foreign interference — we should return to it” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in The Hill
- “President Washington and the Character of the First Supreme Court” by Lindsay M. Chervinsky in Governing
- Op-Ed: “Kamala Harris vice presidential pick launches Biden toward a Cabinet that looks like America” by Lindsay M. Chervisnky in USA Today
- “Medical Aid Heads to East Palestine; President Biden Makes Surprise Visit to Ukraine” on CNN
- “Student loan Supreme Court case raises debate over founders’ intentions for the president” on CBS News
- “Presidential historians on unprecedented situation: Not ‘an ordinary clash of political interests’” on Face the Nation
- “Analysis: Should age matter when picking a president?” on Spectrum News/NY1
- “Lindsay Chervinsky, ‘The Cabinet’” on C-SPAN Booknotes+
I can help with...
- Civil Unrest
- Electoral College
- Presidential Transition
- The Presidency